Lathyrus odoratus 'Charlie's Angel'
spencer sweet pea seed Charlies Angel
- available to order from late autumn
- approx 20 seeds
- sweet pea Charlie's Angel was chosen by BBC Gardeners World magazine (July 2011) as the best ever sweet pea. They say 'This exceptional variety blooms for a long period and has superb perfume making it good for garden display, cut blooms or showing. Charlie's Angel was the first ever spencer type sweet pea to receive the RHS Award of Garden Merit.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Highly scented lavender-blue flowers add an alluring touch to cottage gardens or informal planting schemes, when they can be allowed to scramble over supporting obelisks, arches or trellis. Their soft colouring mixes well with stronger purples, blues and pinks.
- Garden care: From October to late March, sow seeds into pots filled with good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier, and harden off before planting out in a sunny spot from April onwards. Direct sowings can be made in October or March. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: September-March
- Flowering: June-September