Lavatera × clementii 'Bredon Springs'
- available to order from late autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: light, moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The flowers of this handsome mallow appear in abundance throughout summer - and often well into autumn. A useful and hard-working addition towards the back of a mixed border, their mauve-flushed pink blooms are particularly easy to mix with most shades of pink and purple.
- Garden care: Cut back to within 30cm (12in) of ground level in spring, after all risk of severe frosts has passed. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure round the base of the plant. In exposed areas shorten branches by up to one half in autumn to minimise the risk of wind damage.