Leptospermum scoparium 'Red Ensign'
New Zealand tea tree
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: half hardy
Masses of double, crimson, saucer-shaped flowers borne on arching shoots from late spring to early summer and aromatic mid- to dark green leaves. This dense ornamental shrub makes a fabulous specimen plant for a sunny shrub border. It is a frost hardy plant but in milder areas will grow happily against a warm, sunny wall.
- Garden care: After flowering, lightly trim or prune back shoots to maintain symmetry.