Ligustrum sinense 'Fragrant Cloud'
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new foliage appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This wonderfully versatile shrub can be used to back up a large mixed border, but as it also takes clipping in its stride, it can be used for hedging. Also, given time and the right pruning, 'Fragrant Cloud' can be trained to resemble a small, multi-stemmed tree. As its name suggests, the clusters of creamy white flowers that appear in early to midsummer on this Ligustrum are highly fragrant, so it will make a fab addition to a sensory or edge of woodland garden. Strictly speaking this is a semi-evergreen plant, but it may remain fully evergreen in milder areas - or shed the lot in colder regions.
- Garden care: Plants grown as free-standing specimens require minimal pruning - where necessary remove any misplaced or diseased branches in late winter or early spring. Trim hedging plants twice yearly - in May and August. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Harmful if eaten