Lilium 'Pearl White'
- available to order from autumn
- 1 bulb
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: relatively rich, moist but freely draining
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 14/-
Sturdy stems, which are clothed in slender, rich green leaves, are topped in early summer with a cluster of large, outward-facing, creamy white flowers. Show-stopping in the border (or when grown in a sturdy pot on the patio), their flowers are sought after by florists as they can last for a couple of weeks when cut for the vase.
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm (6-8in) deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them at approximately 30cm (12") intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.
- Cats: TOXIC if eaten; Humans/Pets: Ornamental bulbs - not to be eaten