Lonicera × purpusii 'Winter Beauty'
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: December to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Clusters of white, tubular flowers with prominent yellow anthers cling to bare branches in the depths of winter and fill the air with a heady fragrance. The scent from this deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub will stop you in your tracks. An invaluable addition to the garden in winter, it is best planted near a path or in a front garden, where its delicious fragrance can be appreciated. Once the bright green leaves appear, this honeysuckle looks rather insignificant, so plant it among shrubs that provide interest over the summer months.
- Garden care: Cut back established plants after flowering, removing a third of the flowering shoots. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.