- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This wonderful, winter-flowering shrub produces fragrant, creamy-white flowers in mild spells between December and March on almost leafless branches. These are sometimes followed by dull-red berries, which may cause a mild stomach upset if ingested. The leaves, when they appear are a rich shade of green - usually flushed with a plush purple. This is a splendid, deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub, that will flower more profusely when trained against a sunny wall. Try to plant it close to an entrance or pathway so you can catch its lingering aroma each time you pass.
- Garden care: Cut back established plants after flowering, removing a third of the flowering shoots. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.
Goes well with
1 litre pot
available to order from autumn