Lonicera periclymenum 'Belgica'
early Dutch honeysuckle
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of fabulously fragrant, tubular, white flowers that turn deep yellow, and are streaked red outside, smother this honeysuckle in late spring. In hot summers, the flowers may be followed by small, bright red fruits. Deciduous and earlier flowering than many other varieties, this one will quickly cover a boundary wall or fence in full sun or partial shade. Its loose, spreading habit makes it a perfect choice for a cottage or wildlife garden. May produce a second flush of paler, yellowish flowers later in summer too.
- Garden care: Cut back established plants after flowering, removing a third of the flowering shoots. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.