Lonicera periclymenum 'Rhubarb and Custard' ®
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An impressive new form that will produce a mass of large flower clusters throughout the summer. Their colour is rich and their scent powerful, and the bees will love them too. Later, red berries are held well into autumn. This is a top performer, but it is relatively compact, so it is a ideal for smaller gardens or patio pots topped with an obelisk. Easy to grow and undemanding, it will tolerate light shade, however you will get more flowers in a sunnier spot.
- Garden care: Cut back established plants after flowering if they outgrow the available space, removing up to a third of the flowering shoots. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.