Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina'
late Dutch honeysuckle
- available to order from spring 2021
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A classic cottage-garden climber with large, fragrant, tubular, creamy-white flowers, streaked dark-red purple, that give it a two-tone appearance. In hot summers, the flowers may be followed by small, bright red fruits. This deciduous honeysuckle flowers later than most varieties, and will keep on producing scent and flowers for several weeks in late summer and autumn. It looks lovely scrambling over a wall or fence or growing through a robust tree and it prefers light shade.
- Garden care: Cut back established plants after flowering, removing a third of the flowering shoots. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.