Loropetalum chinense var rubrum 'Fire Dance'
- available to order from summer
- 1.5 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained, preferably acidic soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
Forming a bushy mound of evergreen purple foliage, this handsome shrub also produces pink, witch hazel-like flowers from late winter to mid-spring. These have a sweet scent and offer a pretty contrast to the colourful foliage. Originating from woodlands in China, Japan and Burma, they will benefit from a partially shaded spot with protection from the worst of the winter weather.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning, but lightly trim after flowering to encourage bushy growth.