Mahonia nitens 'Cabaret' (PBR)
- 2 litre pot
- In stock (shipped within 2-3 working days)
- Standard £5.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist or well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
We were delighted to be among the first to offer this for sale in the UK. It has the same glossy, holly-like, evergreen foliage that you would expect to see on a Mahonia, but this compact variety produces its flowers from the end of summer and all the way through autumn. These appear initially as elegant racemes smothered with bright orange-red buds, that open from the base of the spike to reveal cheerful yellow flowers. Once the flowers have faded, bluish-grey berries form, which contrast beautifully with the winter foliage.
- Garden care: Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten