Mahonia nitens 'Cabaret' (PBR)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist or well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This delightful new introduction has only recently become available, so we are one of the first to offer it for sale in the UK. It has the same glossy, holly-like, evergreen foliage, that you would expect to see on a Mahonia, but this compact variety produces its flowers from the end of summer and all the way through autumn. These appear initially as elegant racemes smothered with bright orange-red buds, that open from the base of the spike to reveal cheerful yellow flowers. Once the flowers have faded, bluish-grey berries form, which contrast beautifully with the winter foliage.
- Garden care: Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.