grape hyacinth bulbs
- in stock
- 50 bulbs
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil (for container-grown bulbs use two parts John Innes No2 compost to one part sharp grit)
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 7/8
Charming, cone-shaped spikes of tiny, mid-blue flowers appear in April and May above the grass-like, mid-green leaves. Grape hyacinths look gorgeous peeping out of a large container, planted with yellow, spring-flowering pansies. Quickly forming small colonies, they're also valuable for naturalising at the front of a sunny mixed or shrub border.
- Garden care: Plant 10cm (4in) deep in naturalistic groups in autumn. During summer when the bulbs are dormant lift and divide groups that are becoming congested.