Myrtus communis subsp.tarentina
- available to order from summer
- 3 litre pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
This small-leaved myrtle has large, pink-tinted cream flowers in summer offset beautifully by glossy, dark green leaves. The un-scented flowers are followed, in autumn, by white berries. More compact and rounded than the species plant, it is a great choice for a sheltered, sunny spot in the garden.
- Garden care: Protect from cold, drying winds. Apply a 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring. Remove any unwanted growth in late spring.