Myrtus communis subsp. tarentina
- available to order from spring 2021
- 3 litre pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
This small-leaved myrtle has large, pink-tinted cream flowers in summer offset beautifully by glossy, dark green leaves. The unscented flowers are followed, in autumn, by white berries. More compact and rounded than the species plant, it is a great choice for a sheltered, sunny spot in the garden.
- Garden care: Protect from cold, drying winds. Apply a 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring. Remove any unwanted growth in late spring.