common myrtle / Myrtus communis
- available to order from late autumn
- 3 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
In mid to late summer, this bushy, evergreen shrub is festooned with fragrant, white, fluffy flowers, followed by round, purple-black berries. But it is an asset to the garden all year round, with glossy, pointed leaves that give off a fragrant aroma when crushed and provide a handsome backdrop for other flowering plants. A useful and pretty shrub for a sunny border or for growing against a south or west-facing wall.
- Garden care : Protect from cold, drying winds. Apply a 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring. Remove any unwanted growth in late spring.