Nandina domestica Obsessed ('Seika') (PBR)
- available to order from late spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
This compact evergreen shrub is primarily grown for its handsome foliage, which if grown in full sun, is a fiery shade of red when it first emerges in spring, before turning a rich green as it ages. The conical clusters of white flowers it produces in midsummer are also pretty and add further to the plant's appeal. A good choice for patio pots where it will provide year-round interest, it also makes an interesting (and colourful) addition to the front of a shrub border.
- Garden care: In mid or late spring lightly cut back any shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten