Nerine bowdenii 'Isabel'
bowden lily nerine
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: September to November
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
A bulbous perennial that makes a wonderful addition to autumn borders courtesy of its dark pink, lily-like flowers each with a wavy edge to the exotic looking petals atop stout upright stems emanating from low tufts of strap-shaped foliage. 'Isabel' is tolerant of low temperatures if excessively wet conditions are avoided, and is happiest in a freely draining soil where she can bake in full sun. Nerines work well in pots and containers and flower best when they are congested and left to multiply.
- Garden care: Choose a long term position to plant your nerines, in a sunny spot with good drainage where they won't be disturbed. Space each bulb 15-20cm (6-8") apart with the bottom half below surface level with any roots spread out. The neck and top half of the bulb needs to be above ground. Apply a deep, dry mulch to protect the roots throughout the colder months. Water during prolonged periods of drought, but avoid overwatering which could cause rot. Divide congested clumps after flowering.