Nicotiana 'Whisper Mixed' F1
- available to order from winter
- approx 70 seeds
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: half-hardy short-lived perennial
At dusk the flowers of this wonderful ornamental tobacco plant start to give off their fabulous fragrance. With pink flowers maturing to white, and all shades between at any one time, ‘Whisper Mixed’ is a plant bred to be bold in drifts within a sunny border close to a patio, entrance or seating area. Usually grown as an annual, this short-lived perennial may self-sow and survive the winter if grown in a sheltered spot in the garden.
- Growing instructions: Early sowings can be undertaken under glass at approximately 20°C, in trays or pots filled with good quality seed compost. Surface sow thinly and water from the bottom of the pots by sitting them in a tray of water for a short time when necessary. When large enough to handle, grow on in small pots and gradually harden off before planting outside at 45cm intervals after frost. As the seeds are so small it may help to mix them with a little sand before sowing. This will help you keep track of where they are and also avoid overcrowding.
- Sow: March to May
- Flowering: July to September
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten; avoid skin contact