Nigella damascena 'Oxford Blue'
- in stock
- approx 500 seeds
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Throughout summer extra-large, deep blue flowers appear amid the decorative, finely-cut foliage. This tall love-in-a-mist is perfect for a sunny, well-drained cottage-garden border or wildflower meadow. It is extremely easy-to-grow, and the dried seed-heads are valuable for use in winter flower arrangements.
- Garden care:Best sown in situ, 5mm deep. Prepare the seedbed by incorporating some composted organic matter, remove any stones and rake to a fine tilth. Sow in autumn if you want early flowers the following summer, or in mid spring for a later crop. Thin them out when they are large enough to handle allowing 30cm between each. Deadheading regularly will help prolong the flowering period into autumn. Support the plants with twiggy branches in exposed gardens.
- Sow: September-October or March-May
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 500 seeds.