- in stock
- approx 5000 seeds
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, preferably poor soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A much-loved annual wildflower, which has also become a symbol of remembrance. It looks spectacular when colonising cornfields or giant swathes of newly ploughed pastures and the vibrant red flowers are loved by bees.
- Garden care: Sow shallowly, directly into a well prepared bed in spring and water well. As the seedlings develop, thin them out to 30cm intervals keeping just the healthiest and most robust plants. When watering, give the plants a really thorough soak when the soil gets dry, rather than a little water every day. Although they set seed freely, germination is usually triggered by the soil being dug over.
- Sow: March-May or September-October
- Flowering: August-September or May-July
- Approximate quantity: 5000 seeds.