parsnip 'Tender and True'
parsnip or Pastinaca sativa 'Tender and True' F1
(shipped in 5-7 working days)
- approx 800 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or part shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
A very popular variety for its reliability and its excellent flavour, sweet and rich and at its best roasted slowly alongside the Sunday joint. The long, elegant, tapering roots grow straight and true given a stone-free soil and are favourites for the show benches. They're also canker-resistant and have very little core, so there's more for your plate. Parsnip seed doesn't store well though, so sow a fresh crop every year for best results.
- Growing Instructions: Parsnips need a long season to grow well and do best started early in the year. They also dislike being transplanted, so sow direct into shallow drills and thin seedlings to 15cm apart, or pop two or three seeds in at 15cm intervals, nipping out all but the strongest once seedlings appear. Crops are ready from autumn onwards.
- Sow: March-April
- Harvest: October-February
- Approximate quantity: 800 seeds.