Digitalis purpurea 'Excelsior Group'
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 9cm pot
- Next / named day
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position:full sun to partial shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Tall spires of large, well-spaced, tubular flowers in soft shades of purple, pink, creamy-yellow or white, each one with throats spotted maroon or purple, appear from May to July. These pastel-coloured foxgloves are perfect for the back of a large cottage-style border. Although short-lived, given the right conditions they will perpetuate by self-seeding.
- Garden care: Ensure that the soil is kept moist in summer. After flowering cut back the flowered spikes to encourage more sideshoots. Cut down to the ground after flowering. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the plant in early spring.
These plants are mainly biennial, although they will produce plenty of new sideshoots and self-seed freely.
- CAUTION toxic if eaten