Philadelphus maculatus 'Sweet Clare'
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Arching branches are clothed in slender, silver-backed green leaves and carry pendent, highly-scented white flowers from early summer. Plant this deciduous shrub near an entrance or pathway, so you can get a whiff of the perfumed blooms each time you pass. It makes a fine specimen for the shrub border, or the edge of a woodland setting.
- Garden care: Mulch around the roots in spring with a deep layer of well-rotted garden compost or manure. Prune in late summer, immediately after flowering, removing one in four of the older stems to ground level.