Philadelphus 'Manteau d'Hermine'
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In June and July, the arching shoots of this deciduous shrub are smothered in double, creamy-white flowers and mid-green leaves. On warm, summer evenings, the flowers' delicate, orange-blossom fragrance floats on the breeze, filling the surrounding air. This compact, bushy variety of the popular mock orange is perfect for a small garden or where border space is limited. An essential, low-maintenance shrub for a sunny mixed border, it can also cope with urban pollution and salt-laden air.
- Garden care: Mulch around the roots in spring with a deep layer of well-rotted garden compost or manure. Prune in late summer, immediately after flowering, removing one in four of the older stems to ground level.