(shipped within 1-2 working days)
- 12cm pot - 40cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: bright filtered or indirect light
- Soil: general-purpose potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 40cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 20cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
This easy-to-grow, tropical philodendron will add colour and a feel of the South American jungle to a room. Popular houseplants for some time now, this species has a touch of coppery-gold veins to new leaves that fade to rainforest green as they mature. Technically a scrambling climber, Philodendron melanochrysum will benefit in time from the support of a moss pole to achieve its prominence in an indirectly lit corner and show off its unusual, velvet-textured heart-shaped leaves up to 75cm in length.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery alternative), but we have a wide and wonderful range on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Water freely when in growth, but keep drier in winter. Use a balanced liquid fertiliser once a month from the early spring to the late summer. Mist the leaves regularly with water to increase humidity and every so often put it under a cold shower to clean the leaves. Make sure the winter temperatures stay above 10°C, and repot every couple of years.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten; skin/eye irritant/allergen