Phlox subulata 'Bavaria'
- 6 × 9cm pots
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist but freely draining soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period:May - June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This low growing perennial is perfect for pots, rockeries or front of border positions, where it will form an evergreen mound of rich green leaves, which in late spring and early summer, is smothered with a mass of gorgeous purple-eyed white flowers. Becoming drought tolerant once established, Phlox 'Bavaria' is perfect for those dry, sunny spots where little else will grow.
- Garden care: Phlox are greedy plants, so apply a mulch 5-7cm (2-3in) deep, of well-rotted garden compost or manure in early spring. Shear off the spent flower stems to prevent re-seeding. If the leaves show signs of powdery mildew, cut down to the ground and dispose of the affected foliage, but do not compost it. Clear away the debris around the plant to reduce the chances of reinfection. Lift and divide clumps in autumn and spring.