Phormium 'Maori Queen'
New Zealand flax (Phormium Rainbow Queen)
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
With their arching, strappy, sword-shaped leaves, Phormiums make a dramatic statement in the garden. Originating from New Zealand, where their fibre has traditionally been used in the same way as hemp or sisal, they are versatile evergreen plants that tolerate a range of conditions and look at home in a variety of different planting schemes. They have become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more colourful varieties being introduced. This one has broad, bronze-green leaves with rose-red margins, and a sliver of cream at the edge. This dramatic, evergreen, architectural plant adds a touch of exotica to a sunny, sheltered spot in the garden. In hot summers, a spike of tubular, red flowers will shoot up from the centre, followed by sturdy seed-heads.
- Garden care: In late spring remove any dead or damaged leaves and apply a mulch of well-rotted organic matter to stimulate vigorous, new growth.