Photinia × fraseri Pink Marble ('Cassini')
(shipped in 2-3 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: most fertile, well-drained soils
- Rate of growth: average to fast growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
Discovered in the US, this cultivar is believed to be a sport of 'Red Robin'. It has variegated cream and green leaves, which when they first emerge are flushed in pinky red, so overall the effect is very colourful. A handsome evergreen, it makes a fine stand-alone specimen and as it is quite tolerant of hard pruning, it also works wonderfully well as an informal hedge.
- Garden care: To encourage a profusion of bright young leaves in late spring or summer shorten the stems of established specimens by up to 15cm (6in), to just above an outward-facing bud in spring. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten