Pieris japonica 'Mountain Fire'
- in stock
(shipped within 7 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained acid soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Glossy, brilliant red young leaves mature to chestnut brown and in late spring, clusters of pretty, ivory, nodding, bell-like flowers appear, resembling lily-of-the-valley. The fiery red young foliage of this rounded, evergreen shrub will add a splash of vivid colour to a shady border or woodland edge. Pieris needs a moist, well-drained acid soil and shade from morning sun.
- Garden care: Add composted pine needles or peat when planting. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of composted pine needles or peat each year around the base of the plant in early spring. Remove the faded flower-heads in late spring along with any frost-damaged foliage.