Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Elizabeth'
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
Each of the gently ruffled grey-green leaves have an irregular cream margin, which flushes pink - particularly in colder weather. A handsome specimen for a sheltered garden, it's also useful for creating an informal screen. It's primarily grown for its year-round foliage, which is sought after by florists, however the small (insignificant really), deep purple flowers, have a deliciously sweet honey-like perfume that will fill the surrounding air.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. To thin or reduce growth prune mid-spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.