Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Tom Thumb'
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
The compact, evergreen shrub has a small, wavy, dark purple leaves and striking, dark grey or black young stems. With its distinctive rounded shape, and pretty leaves, it will give all-year foliage interest in a sunny, well-drained mixed border. Try it as a punctuation point in a gravel garden, or with strappy Phormiums for formal contrast. While it sometimes produces honey-scented, dark purple flowers in late spring and early summer, it's not a reliable flowerer. Protect from cold, drying winds.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. To thin or reduce growth prune mid-spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.