Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Variegatum'
- available to order from late summer
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
Prized for its striking, dark grey or black young stems clothed with distinctive, wavy, small grey-green leaves edged with cream, this large, bushy, evergreen shrub or small tree forms a natural oval. It makes a lovely backdrop to a sunny, well-drained border and responds well to light clipping into a more formal shape. An excellent plant for warm coastal areas, where it can successfully be grown as an attractive, variegated windbreak or hedge.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. To thin or reduce growth prune mid-spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.