Schlumbergera 'Caribbean Dancer'
Red Christmas cactus
- available to order from spring
- 13cm pot - 30cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: specialist cacti and succulent compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: November to late January
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 30cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
Brightly coloured red flowers up to 8cm (3”) long, fading to white in the centre, from which a deep-magenta stigma arises surrounding by a tuft of golden-topped, white stamens. Opening at the ends of the succulent, fleshy, leaf stems, the blooms of ‘Caribbean Dancer’ will persist from November, through the festive period, and into January. This plant will be delivered in bud/flower.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery alternative), but we have a wide and wonderful range on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Choose a bright spot out of direct sunlight and maintain a humid atmosphere by daily misting or standing Schlumbergera on a saucer of wettened gravel. The plant needs two resting periods so after it has flowered in late January reduce the watering and move to a cooler room with a temperature of approx 54-59°F (12-15°C). Water sparingly but don't let it dry out. From April to September, increase watering and feed with a liquid houseplant fertiliser, moving the plant to a warmer room with a temperature of around 64-68°F (18-20°C). The flower buds should start to form in mid-September, so reduce the temperature and watering as before for the 2nd resting period. Once the flower buds have developed you again increase the temperature and watering. This should ensure a lovely Christmas floral display. For healthy growth, it is best to repot every year at the end of March using a cactus potting compost or John Innes No 2 with added grit.