Japanese flowering cherry
- available to order from autumn
- 10 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
- Standard £4.95
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: tolerates most soils
- Rate of growth: vigorous
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A vigorous Japanese flowering cherry with bronze new foliage which becomes dark green with age. In mid-spring the tree is laden with clusters of double, yellowish white flowers which open from pink buds. The attractive spreading habit and umbrella-like canopy make this a lovely tree for any garden.
- Garden care: When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly. Prune in summer to reduce the risk of silver leaf and bacterial canker. Cut back any dead, diseased or branches which cross to healthy wood.