Rhododendron Bloombux ('Microhirs3') (PBR)
rhododendron Inkarho group
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich, neutral to acidic soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
If you are looking for an alternative to box hedging and would like something that will flower in early summer but will tolerate some shade, then perhaps this recently introduced rhododendron is just the thing. It takes pruning in its stride, so if you do want to clip it to shape, just give it a trim straight after the early summer flowers have faded. These flowers form in clusters are a beautiful shade of soft pink. They are also attractive to bees and butterflies. You can grow this compact, evergreen rhododendron along the front of a border, or use it to line a partially shaded pathway. An INKARHO type, it will tolerate soils with a neutral pH and can also be grown in a pot.
- Garden care: Apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of leaf mould around the base of the plant each spring.