Salvia Amethyst Lips ('Dyspurp') (PBR)
- available to order from spring
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
This new perennial salvia is closely related to the sought-after 'Hot Lips', and like its cousin, it produces an abundance of eye-catching, bicoloured (or sometimes solid) purple and white flowers throughout the summer. A good doer in mixed or herbaceous borders, it will also flourish in pots and containers.
- Garden care: To prolong flowering remove the flower spikes as soon as they start to fade. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring. Protect from excessive cold and waterlogged soils.