Eventual height & spread
Sansevieria trifasciata var. laurentii
mother-in-law's tongue or variegated snake plant
- sold out
- 14cm pot - 45cm tall
- Position: ideally bright, with some full sun, but will also tolerate shade
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 45cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
If you have never grown a house plant before and are looking for something that is virtually indestructible, then look no further - as this is probably the toughest and most tolerant house plant you can find. It's a good-looker too, with attractively patterned leaves that don't flop or spread. It's great for tight spaces, or where you want something upright.
The pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot), but they do make excellent potted plants. If you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
Please note: it is quite common for these plants to have small nicks or scars on their leaves. This does not affect their long-term health or vigour in any way.
- Home care: The main thing to avoid with this plant is overwatering, so only water (avoiding the crown) when the compost gets quite dry. In winter you can cut back even more and only water every month or two and keep temperatures above 10°C. Repot every few years when the roots start to split the pot.