- available to order from spring
- 13cm pot - 30cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: November to January
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 30cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
A curiously shaped houseplant with flattened, toothed-stems, bearing terminal purple-pink, slender-petalled flowers. With a long season of interest between November and late January, this is a popular gift choice - and not just for Christmas!
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery alternative), but we have a wide and wonderful range on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Because of where this plant comes from, it likes a bright spot but not in direct sun with a humid atmosphere - so you could stand it on a saucer of damp gravel to improve the humidity. It is an easy plant to care for, but if you want it to flower each Christmas there are a few rules to follow.
Basically it needs 2 resting periods, so after it has flowered in late January reduce the watering and move to a cooler room with a temperature of approx 12-15°C. Water sparingly but don't let it dry out. Then from April to September increase the water and start to feed with a liquid houseplant fertilser and move to a warmer room with a temperature of around 18-20°C. The flower buds should start to form in mid-September, so you will need to reduce the temperature and watering as before for the 2nd resting period. Once the flower buds have developed you again increase the temperature and watering. Then you should be rewarded with another lovely Christmas floral display! For healthy growth, it is best to repot every year at the end of March using a cactus potting compost or John Innes No.2 with added grit.