Eventual height & spread
Skimmia japonica 'Kew White' (female)
Japanese skimmia (female) (berry-bearing)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: partial to full shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained neutral to acidic soil, or erciaceous compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This wonderful evergreen will provide year-round interest. It comes into bloom in late spring, producing generous clusters of scented white flowers - and if there is a male skimmia nearby ('Kew Green', 'Rubella' or 'Fragrans' would be ideal), it will go on to form snow-white berries in autumn. The backdrop of the rich green foliage acts as the perfect showcase for both the flowers and the fruits, but at other times of the year, it provides that all important structure to mixed or shrub borders. A relatively compact form, 'Kew White' is also ideal for pots.
- Garden care: Lightly trim after flowering, if necessary. To improve the moisture retention qualities of the soil add plenty of well-rotted compost when planting.