Eventual height & spread
Skimmia japonica 'Nymans' (female)
Japanese skimmia (female) (berry-bearing)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: partial to full shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A spreading, evergreen shrub with white flowers in April and May and slightly aromatic, lance-shaped, dark green leaves. This award-winning shrub provides much-needed colour in the winter garden. Ideal for a shady shrub or mixed border, the flowers are followed by long-lasting, bright red berries as long as a male variety is planted close by ('Kew Green', 'Rubella' or 'Fragrans' would be ideal).
- Garden care: Lightly trim after flowering, if necessary. Add plenty of well-rotted compost when planting as it may become chlorotic if planted on poor, dry soils.