Eventual height & spread
spring onion 'North Holland Blood Red'
spring onion or Allium cepa 'North Holland Blood Red'
- approx 250 seeds
- In stock (shipped within 2-3 working days)
- Seed Packets (only) £2.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, medium to light soil
Gorgeous burgundy-red bulbs with a topknot of deep green which look fabulous on the plot or as edging to a flower or herb bed. Despite the high-class looks it's very easy to grow, and versatile too: harvest the bulbs young as slender, mild spring onions for brightening up your salads, or give them more space to bulb up for cooking. A good source of vitamin C.
- Growing Instructions: Sow in trays of dampened seed compost in spring, potting on seedlings as they grow and hardening off carefully to plant out 45cm apart once all threat of frost has passed. Alternatively wait till later in the season and sow direct into shallow drills, thinning seedlings to 45cm between plants. Instead of thinning seedlings, pull alternate onions for eating as they grow, leaving those remaining in the ground with room to get bigger.
- Sow: February-July
- Harvest: April-September
- Approximate quantity: 250 seeds
- Pets: TOXIC if eaten