bird of paradise
(shipped within 2-4 working days)
- 12cm pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full light (with shade from hot sun)
- Soil: loam-based potting compost (John Innes No.3)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to May
- Hardiness: tender (will need winter protection)
- Current height: approximately 35cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
These beautiful indoor plants are not currently in bloom, but given time (it may take several years) they will produce spectacular bright orange and midnight blue flowers that look a little like the head of a colourful crane. These exotic-looking flowers are surrounded by paddle-shaped, emerald green leaves, which shred with age, but remain a feature throughout the year. This beautiful bird of paradise makes an interesting house plant for a bright, well-lit room and in summer, can be plunged (pot and all) in the middle of a sunny border to create an instant tropical effect.
- Garden care: During the growing season water regularly and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Water sparingly in winter and top dress each spring. As the old leaves become shredded, trim them off. The plants should be potted into a larger pot in autumn and may be left outside from May to September (provided there is no risk of frost). They need winter protection and can be kept in a greenhouse or conservatory from October through to April.