Eventual height & spread
Trachelospermum jasminoides Star of Toscana ('Selbra') (PBR)
yellow star jasmine
- available to order from spring
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
A new and attractive woody, evergreen climber with rich, dark green leaves which often turn bronze in winter. Unlike its well-established and much-loved relative, its flowers are yellow (from creamy to buttery), but they still have the same sweet perfume. These appear in clusters over a long period from summer to autumn. Happiest grown against a warm, sunny wall in milder areas, it is said to be hardy to -10C, but in areas prone to severe frosts it will need winter protection.
- Garden care: After flowering has finished prune back to fit the available space. In frost-prone areas, grow in pots of loam-based potting compost such as John Innes No.2 and move to a sheltered spot in winter.