Tropaeolum majus 'Alaska Series'
- in stock
- approx 40 seeds
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: poor, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: tender
Masses of funnel-shaped, red, yellow, orange and cream flowers appear with the conspicuously splotched cream and green leaves. These colourful plants are perfect for the front of a sunny border or for filling a large pot on the patio. One of the easiest annuals to grow, they put on a long display throughout summer and autumn. Both the flowers and the leaves are edible and have a sweet, peppery flavour, and the when planted in the kitchen garden they will help repel whitefly while attracting blackflies away from the crops.
- Garden care:Soak the seeds overnight and then sow an early crop under glass in good seed compost, covering lightly. Maintain the temperature between 13-16°C and water when necessary. When large enough to handle, pot on or acclimatise slowly and plant outside after all risk of frost has passed. Alternatively sow directly outside in mid to late spring. These plants flower best in poor soil, so take care not to over-fertilise. Dead-heading regularly will also encourage an even better display.
- Sow: March-June
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 40 seeds.