Tropaeolum majus 'Empress of India'
- approx 35 seeds
- In stock (shipped within 1-2 working days)
- Seed Packets (only) £2.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: poor, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: half-hardy annual
A classic, mound-forming Victorian variety with opulent, semi-double crimson flowers and contrasting purple-green foliage. Easy to grow and perfect for pots, tubs, window boxes or filling borders, ‘Empress of India’ has flower petals and leaves that are edible which can be used to add a peppery tang to to salads, cheese boards and cocktails.
- Growing instructions: Sow direct, where they are to flower from March to May, or after last frost. Sow seeds into finely raked compost to a depth of 1cm and space out by approximately 25cm. Alternatively start seeds indoors from February allowing 3 to 4 seeds per 7.5cm pot. Plants can be transplanted into patio containers for most of the year, with blooms from July to October. Remove spent flowers to encourage further blooms throughout the season.
- Sow: March to June
- Flowering: June to September