Tulipa humilis Violacea Group black base
miscellaneous group tulip bulbs
- available to order from late summer
- 5 bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April - May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 6
Black eyed, magenta pink flowers put on a showy display in spring, when they pop up above their slender grey-green foliage. A low-growing species tulip, it is ideal for adding a vibrant splash of colour to patio pots (or windowboxes), and it also makes a natural addition to rockeries and alpine beds. It's small, but very sweet!
- Garden care: In September to December plant bulbs 15cm deep and 10cm apart in fertile, well-drained soil. Alternatively, allow 9 - 12 bulbs per 30cm sq. After flowering dead-head and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each week for the first month.
- Harmful if eaten/may cause skin allergy