Vanda 'Tayanee Cerise' in a glass vase
vanda orchid in a glass vase
- available to order from winter
- glass vase
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: not required!
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: plant approximately 50cm (+ or - 10% including roots). Glass jar measures 20cm high x 12.5cm dia
Often producing its large and colourful flowers in several flushes each year, this orchid will be delivered in flower to immediately make a stunning addition to the home. In its native environment, the Vanda orchids are epiphytes, so form aerial roots that can absorb all the necessary moisture and nutrients from the surrounding air, water and leaf litter. That is why these plants are quite happy to grow in a glass jar without any compost at all - and that makes them not only very decorative, but quite unique. The leaves can be slightly marked or scarred, but this is quite normal and will not affect the plant’s growth.
- Home care: Given the right temperatures (ideally 16-25°C), and a lot of bright but indirect light, this plant will actively grow throughout the year. When watering, fill the vase and let it stand for half an hour or so (or until the bubbles stop appearing on the roots), then tip out all the excess. This can be done twice a week or so in the summer, but only half as often in the winter.