Weigela Ebony and Ivory ('Velda') (PBR)
weigela / weigelia
- Available in 4 weeks
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This new weigela has quite unique colouring. The foliage is a rich, deep green, but takes on hints of plum as the summer progresses. These form a lush backdrop for the red-throated white trumpets, that smother the stems in early summer. A low-growing, spreading form, it is great for livening up the front of the border and will also do well in pots.
- Garden care: Once established prune each year in midsummer after flowering, removing one or two of the older stems to the base and cutting back the flowered stems to strong shoots below the spent flowers.