arum lily collection
- 2+1 FREE collections
- 1 collection
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, reliably moist soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy (borderline)
Originating from southern Africa where they are found colonising reliably moist soils or lake margins, these elegant perennials are at their peak in summer when they produce their magnificent flowers. These look beautiful in the border, but are also excellent for cutting and adding to the vase, where they will usually put on a long-lasting display. Tolerant of a little light shade, they will flower best in a sunny spot and they should be fed and watered freely during the growing season. Hardier forms may be left to form large clumps in sheltered gardens with the protection of a deep winter mulch, while more tender cultivars will need to be moved under glass for the winter months
In each collection you will receive 1 bare root plant of each of the following:
- Zantedeschia 'Captain Romance'
Green flushed at their base, the rich pink spathes of this beautiful arum lily surround contrasting, golden yellow spadices. Easy to mix with most shades of pink, blue and purple, this cultivar will be an attractive addition to a reliably moist border. Grows to 65cm.
- Zantedeschia ‘Odessa’
Deep plum coloured flowers, which look almost black in low light, are held on rich green stems above the clumps of lightly spotted, mid-green foliage. Its compact habit makes it a handsome specimen for pots and containers on a sunny patio. Grows to 50cm.
- Zantedeschia aethiopica
One of the hardier forms, it is suitable for naturalising in milder climates, and may retain its foliage throughout the winter. It is however for its pure white flowers, which are produced in succession from late spring, that it is most highly prized. Grows to 90cm.
- Garden care: Plant the tubers 7-10cm deep and 30cm apart into rich soil or good quality potting compost. Water sparingly until new shoots start to emerge and then start to water more regularly. Apply a deep mulch in autumn or if grown in pots, move to a sheltered spot during the winter.