snake bark maple
- available to order from late autumn
- 12 lt pot (1-1.2m)
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moisture-retentive soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The vertically striped green and white bark is the feature that gives this snake bark maple its common name - but this distinctive bark also makes it a superb specimen that will offer year-round interest. Its leaves are attractive too, but unlike many of the other acers, they are only very shallowly lobed (if at all!). They are a nice fresh green throughout the summer, but turn orange and yellow in autumn before they are shed. Choose a site sheltered from cold winds close to a path or entrance, where the attractive decorative bark can be appreciated close-up.
- Garden care: Add a top dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.